Setting up VB1
VB1 creates a wifi hotspot so that you can make contact initially and tell it the name and password of your wifi network. The hotspot is also known as an Access Point or AP.
Using the Brennan App to connect VB1 to Wifi
Start the process by clicking the "Setup using Brennan AP" button on the Welcome to Brennan screen. You can return to this screen from the main app by clicking the little hifi icon near the top right.
Clicking the start button. Then click the Join button to give permission for the phone to connect to the Brennan VB1.
You will then need to select your Wifi network in the top box and type the Wifi password in the second box.
The app will then tell VB1 and both the phone and Brennan VB will switch over to the Wifi network you gave it.
The app then shows the Brennan VB1 screen. If you play music into the phono connectors you will see it on the display
Connecting VB1 without the app with an Android phone
You can connect VB1 to your Wifi network without the app - although you still need a mobile phone.
This shows an Android. The same approach will work with an iPhone though the detailed steps may be slightly different.
- Tap Settings -> Connections -> Wifi
- Look for BrennanVB in Available Networks and select it.
- Enter "brennanvb" when prompted for the password
- Your phone should now be connected to the Brennan VB1 hotspot.
- Open a browser (typically Chrome) and type 192.168.4.1 in the address
- This will display the Brennan VB1 web UI
- Open the Current Network panel - by tapping the triangle
- Select your Wifi network in the upper white box
- Tap Wifi Scan if you don't see your network
- Enter the Wifi password in the lower white box then tap send.
- At this point some Android phones will drop the connection to VB1 and switch back to your home Wifi. So use Settings on the phone now and reselect BrennanVB if necessary.
- The Brennan VB1 will then attach to your Wifi network and it will display the IP address at the top. Record this IP address - you will need it.
- The Brennan will now be able to see Sonos speakers and Brennan music players on the same Wifi network.
- Switch the phone back to your original Wifi network using Settings -> Connections -> Wifi
- Open a browser and type the IP address from above. You will see the same Web UI. But this time using your Wifi network. You should see any Sonos speakers and Brennan music players in the Current Zone panel.