New features are being added to B2 and BB1 all the time.
It takes just a few seconds to get the latest software.
|BB1||Settings & Tools->Maintenance->Web Upgrade|
Details about the upgrade are published first on the UK site here
Here are the most recent changes
10th March 2022
This web upgrade for B2 and B2B prepares your B2 for use with the new App. It also includes all the recent changes in the experimental releases. Apple Superdrive (B2B only), more presets, improved CD playback through Sonos, variable duration record from radio.
2nd March 2022
The experimental software (left panel) now contains an option in Settings->Maintenance->Advanced to install a driver for the Apple Superdrive CD mechanism. Thanks to Struan for all the heavy lifting.
You can just plug the Apple Superdrive into a B2 USB port and use that instead of the internal CD mechanism.
Other changes in the experimental software include support for the next generation app - to be released in the new few weeks.
22nd October 2021
B2B now has a simple record from radio function.
Play the station on the local (wired) loudspeakers and press REC on the remote.
It will stop when you press stop or after one hour.
The recordings are labeled with the date and time and the radio station is the "artist" so they are easy to find in the web UI.
15th October 2021
This upgrade for b2 and b2b fixes a problem with the artist item menu in the v3 mobile UI.
It also includes some diagnostics for our internal use.
30th September 2021
This upgrade for b2b selects wired speakers when Forget Sonos selected.
20th September 2021
This upgrade is for B2s running the 'b2 xxxx' version software and has the recent b2b improvements.
17th September 2021
This upgrade for b2b fixes an occasional problem with the Musicbrainz server causing some CDs to be unrecognised and ejected. Also fixes erroneous duplicated album display on the web UI immediately after ripping. Thanks to Ian L. for his help with this.
7th September 2021
This upgrade for b2b quietens CD playback. Play track in the album menu now plays to chosen zone
2nd August 2021
This upgrade for B2B improves startup on Sonos CD play and adds ~ to list of characters that can be entered on the remote/rotary. You can find it after # or on the 1 button of the remote.
28th July 2021
This upgrade for B2B adds track names and album art to Sonos CD play. The art will show up on the web UI and the Sonos App - though not currently on the Brennan App.
20th July 2021
New feature for B2. Create a playlist called "Blacklist" and anything that appears in that list will not play during random play. You can specify tracks, albums or artists. This upgrade is only for B2B software - original B2 and BB1 to follow.
13th July 2021
Exciting experimental software that lets you play CDs through Sonos speakers.
Pick the zone, insert a CD, wait for it to read the contents and press play.
(Or if there is already a CD inserted press the CD button on the remote or use the CD menu.)
CDs are played losslessly.
Its under development so it doesn't display track names yet and the web UI doesn't know about it yet. You may encounter the odd UI wrinkle - let us know any issues.
As far as I know this is a world first - there is no other device that lets you "stream" CDs.
(Though to be fair Sonos sell the Sonos Port at £399 to stream any audio source - though I'm not sure if they use MP3).
Thanks to the Brennan owners who asked for this - I worked on it for a few days and decided it was impossible - then had a brainwave.
1st June 2021
- Fix for occasional truncation of Youtubes on B2/B2B
- Increase space for album names for large music collections
- New dropdown Sonos speaker selection on web UI - click on Brennan
12th May 2021
This release is for BB1 and B2B - B2 will follow
- Export / Import problem caused by mirror files fixed
- B2B can now install a driver for USB Ethernet adaptors - so you can plug a B2 into Ethernet without opening the box. Settings->Maintenance->Advanced->Get Ethernet will install the driver. Turn the B2 off and plug in the USB Ethernet adaptor and the B2 will use Ethernet and/or Wifi
- BB1 gets a JB7 Restore function for importing JB7 backups - in USB Functions
22nd March 2021
Several small improvements for BB1 and B2 including
- BB1 USB DAC improvement
- BB1 cosmetic changes
- MP3 bitrate setting working
- Youtube cache setting working
- Format USB utility added to BB1 Advanced Menu
- Spotify / Sonos displays better
- Wifi not turned off during compression
9th March 2021
Please note - DLNA must be turned off for the Sonos feature to work - all versions.
This upgrade for BB1 lets you play music to Sonos speakers directly from the BB1 itself - no mobile phone or browser required. You can use the menus to select music or just press the buttons and it plays to the currently selected Sonos zone.
1st March 2021
This upgrade for BB1 and B2 includes 'Stereo Pairs' improvements and the front panel option for the B2 - BB1 to follow. And a couple of bug fixes since 25th.
The B2 now sorts Sonos zones alphabetically so it may be a good idea to click Scan Sonos on the web UI (Settings) and then reload the web UI - just once so everything is in sync.
The BB1 code includes a fix for DAC support.
25th February 2021
This file for B2B offline upgrade contains new Sonos features.
- Pick a Sonos Zone from the front panel.
- Play music/radio to Sonos Zones and adjust the volume without browser or mobile
- Play different music in different zones at the same time.
- One touch play music at random to your Sonos - just press next (like with the wired speakers)
- Sonos stereo pairs now working - a great feature
- Faster Sonos discovery
- Fix for limited scrolling on web UI in the Android app.
Thanks to John H for assisting with Stereo Pairs.
14th February 2021
- Youtube update to keep in step with changes at Youtube site.
- Improvements to reduce SD card wear.
- Stop play at end of CD - was restarting.
26th January 2021
- Move JB7 Backup and Restore to their own submenu
- Display Export instead of Backup as appropriate
- Fix MP3 compression on B2 software.
- Fix problem caused by back tick in file names and new compression mechanism
- Fix play after standby problem caused by new compression mechanism
- Improve Wifi restart after compression
20th January 2021
This upgrade fixes a minor problem with the volume control on the iPhone app when used with Sonos. You will need the latest app version 2.0.3 or later.
Also fixes a problem compressing files containing ampersands
11th January 2021
This upgrade for all models will allow the Brennan to work with the new 2nd Generation iPhone app to be launched later today - more here. The app can be found on the app store - search for 'martin brennan'.
In addition to support for the App it includes the following changes
- You can now play radio stations to Sonos from the vTuner tab
- The system will behave better if a Sonos speaker is turned off
- The system will play tracks if paths contain ampersands
- The first track will play sooner when a lot of music is queued to a speaker
9th December 2020
- Recent Youtube fix extended to Firefox and Safari browsers
- Bug fix in new MP3 encoder to handle special characters in some filenames
3rd December 2020
- Sonos App and B2 web UI now show album art, radio logo and other details when playing through Sonos speakers.
- Play Artist added to Sonos.
- Sonos queue limit increased from 100 to 1000
- New faster mp3 encoding on B2/BB1 - its still slow compared to a PC - but about 2x faster than previously.
- Cover art now added during MP3 encoding.
26th November 2020
- This release for all models fixes a recent change at Youtube.
- DLNA was found to be incompatible with the recent Sonos function so turning on DLNA will now switch off Sonos and vice versa. If you use the Sonos feature please make sure DLNA is turned off - press Info in the remote. You can turn DLNA on and off in Settings->Maintenance.
- Bluetooth and Wired speakers together has been fixed.
- Work on Sonos is ongoing and I did not plan on a software release yet but you will find that Radio Presets now play through Sonos. This is not tested significantly so let us know of any stations that do not work.
2nd November 2020
This release fixes Playlist Export.
29th October 2020
This release for all models fixes the Youtube downloader after some changes on the Youtube site.
BB1 gets the new Sonos functionality.
The Sonos speaker limit was increased to ten. Sonos Boost devices are now hidden. Volume is updated on change of device and problems playing files with ampersands (&) and other troublesome characters have been fixed.
23rd October 2020
This release for B2 and B2B has a new Sonos capability. More here. Let us know what you think via the forum or email.